Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Page Process - Jennifer's Body

Since I didn't get this job and the book's been out for quite some time now, I figure it's fairly safe to post this stuff here.

I was asked to try out for the Jennifer's Body book that Boom! put out last year to coincide with the movie of the same name. I don't usually go for licensed stuff, let alone licensed stuff with likenesses, but I love Diablo Cody and Rick Spears (who wrote the comic tie-in/adaptation stuff) so I jumped at the chance. Needless to say, my inability to do likenesses (among other things) killed me getting the job, but I had fun working out this page.

I started by trying to figure out how to draw the characters, and since I suck at likeness drawing, I spent way too much time on that. These sketches are just a fraction of the sketches I went through to get to doing one sample page. I don't know that Boom! or the licensor ever saw these, I don't think they did.



I don't have my thumbnail for the page, but I remember doing a whole sketchbook pages worth of ideas before combining several into this one page. This is from the actual comic script. I haven't seen the book to know how the actual artist handled it, but this was my take.



And inks:


The likeness is weak, but I still dig how I handled the bottom half of the page (from a layout pov).

I like the guys at Boom! a lot, so here's hoping I can find something to work with them on.